Survey Data

Reg No

16307001


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1860 - 1870


Coordinates

326529, 206094


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached multiple-bay single-storey basalt rubble with granite dressings Gothic Revival Roman Catholic church, built in 1865. The plan is cruciform but with later rear additions the footprint is approximately T-shaped. To the southern junctions between the nave and transepts are small lean-to porches; built of basalt rubble with granite dressing. Windows to the nave are simple plate tracery while those to gables are all triple lancet. The timber sheeted door sits within a shallow projecting gabled porch and has decorative strap hinges; it is set within a pointed arch headed opening with pilasters and moulded dripstone with label stops. Double reducing buttresses to the corners of the front fa├žade with similar buttresses to the centre of the nave. A small Celtic stone cross surmounts the east gable while to the top of the south gable is a small bell-cote complete with bell. The church is slightly set back behind decorative wrought-iron railings which rise from low granite plinths. Pitched and slated roofs have cast iron-rainwater goods. A small grass side garden contains a small Marian shrine/statue. Behind the original altar rails is a plain modern altar. Rafters and original trusses are exposed. Windows have leaded glass with some figurative leaded glass but mainly simple geometric patterns. The original gallery has a plain replacement guard rail.

Appraisal

Well-maintained original Gothic Revival church, in a prominent urban setting, which adds great variety to the local streetscape. The interior, although re-ordered following Vatican II, retains much of its original character and is a strong asset to the town.