Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical

Original Use

Hunting/fishing lodge

In Use As



1855 - 1865


327549, 210807

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached two-bay two-storey house, built 1860, as a hunting lodge for the Bellevue Estate, but incorporating the fabric of an earlier house of 1760 as a rear return. The façade is finished in painted lined render, the roof is hipped and slated with rendered chimneystacks, and has an overhang supported on paired brackets. The entrance is located on the south elevation and consists of a panelled timber door with plain rectangular fanlight and granite drip stone over. This was originally a side door to a servant’s room, but assumed its present role in c.1890 when original entrance to the east elevation was blocked up. Above the entrance is a small balcony with cast-iron railings, accessed from a mainly glazed first floor door. The windows are flat-headed with timber sash frames and granite sills, with granite drip stones to most of the windows on the ground floor. The east elevation has a single-storey canted bay added to the south side in c.1890, when the original entrance was blocked up. To the north elevation there is a two-storey return which contains the fabric of the original single-storey house of c.1760. Cast-iron rainwater goods.


As a former hunting lodge belonging to the Bellevue Estate this property possesses local historical significance. It is also of interest in an architectural sense in that its form clearly shows its evolution from a modest mid 18th-century single storey dwelling, to a comfortable late Victorian / Edwardian middle-class residence.