Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1895 - 1905
Detached multiple-bay part four-storey part three and a half-storey part render part brick eclectic style hotel, built c.1900 to designs by McCurdy & Mitchell. Four-storey projecting end bays are flat-roofed with decorative parapet walls; windows to this section are all one over one timber sash and with the exception of the first floor (which is segmental-arched) are flat-headed. The central section has a mansard roof with gabled dormer windows each with paired one over one sash windows with segmental-arched heads. First and second floor rooms access the somewhat Regency-style balcony through replacement glazed doors with plain margins and plain fanlights; segmental arch headed decoration to the first floor railings. The ground floor section below the balconies is now filled with replacement multiple paned windows and entrance screen. Pitched roof is finished with artificial slate with uPVC rainwater goods. Tall brick chimneys with corbelled caps and tall clay pots.
A grand eclectic late Victorian hotel undoubtedly built following the arrival of the railway to facilitate the growing desire of Victorians to holiday at the seaside. Still in use today as a hotel and despite some recent additions and alterations, it retains much of its original grandeur.