Survey Data

Reg No

16304001


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Original Use

Coastguard station


In Use As

Coastguard station


Date

1870 - 1880


Coordinates

329624, 212547


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced multiple-bay part two part three-storey rendered former coastguard station of eight dwellings but now in use as part coastguard station, part Garda station and part private houses, built c.1875. Windows all have painted block and start surrounds. To the north east is a three-stage square tower with oriel segmental arch headed windows to the second floor. Windows generally have shallow pointed arch heads and have one over one timber sash frames. Pitched and slated roof, uPVC rainwater goods and brick chimneystacks with tall clay pots. Two recent small lean-to porch additions. To the east side are two detached boat houses. These are roughcast and have (detached outbuildings with) slated and pitched roofs each with "block and start" stone surrounds to the segmental arch headed double doors.

Appraisal

Now quite rare, distinctive and mainly intact coastguard station which adds greatly to the variety of the streetscape. Whilst this has been divided into a number of different properties and it has had some change of detailing, it has nevertheless retained much of its original character.