Survey Data

Reg No

16303013


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Hotel


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

298188, 214326


Date Recorded

06/08/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace seven-bay two-storey former house, built c.1820, now in use as a hotel. The building is finished in roughcast render. There is a later single-storey addition to the north-east side. A short flight of stone steps rises to the front door; this is set within a flat-headed opening and has a projecting flat-roofed portico with Tuscan order columns. Window openings are flat-headed and have six over six timber sash frames. The hipped roof is finished with natural slate and has cast-iron rainwater goods. The rendered chimneystack has a corbelled cap and clay pots. The building faces the road and is slightly set back behind wrought-iron railings.

Appraisal

A well preserved building which has been successfully converted to commercial use while retaining its street presence and maintaining the building line. This is a good asset to the streetscape.