Survey Data

Reg No

16302050


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Forge/smithy


In Use As

Forge/smithy


Date

1850 - 1860


Coordinates

322359, 217163


Date Recorded

26/06/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached single-bay single-storey L-plan forge, built 1855. The fa├žade is in squared roughly dressed granite with edge pilasters, kneelers, parapets and finials also in granite. To the front gable is a horseshoe shaped doorway with dressed voussoirs and moulding with an 'arrow loop' opening above. The gable is topped with a ball and cone finial, with octagonal granite chimneystacks to remaining gables. Flat-headed windows with multiple-pane frames to roadside elevation with doorway with plain timber door to south face of the rear projection which is on the west side.

Appraisal

Granite-built blacksmith's forge of 1855 which picks up some of the Tudoresque elements favoured in much of Enniskerry's buildings as well as including the typical forge 'horseshoe' doorway; forms a memorable grouping with the neighbouring matching blacksmith's house.