Survey Data

Reg No

16301311


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1865 - 1885


Coordinates

326228, 218434


Date Recorded

11/06/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay two-storey over basement double-pile house, built c.1875 as part of a row of four similar properties with simplified Gothic styling. To front there is a single-storey over basement hipped roof canted bay. The façade is finished in part painted part unpainted render with a bracketed eaves course and small shallow roundel recesses at either side of the first floor windows and to the bay, whilst the slated pitched roof has shared brick chimneystacks. The entrance consists of a pointed arch opening with moulded archivolt with decorative keystone, within which is a panelled timber door with plain 'jambs' and pointed arch fanlight. The entrance is approached by a short flight of stone steps. The windows are a mixture of pointed arch and flat-headed, and have one over one timber sash frames. Cast-iron rainwater goods. The property faces onto a street but is separated from it by a small garden enclosed by a rendered wall.

Appraisal

This relatively modest yet distinctive Victorian house is part of a well preserved terrace whose Gothic styling adds interest to the streetscape.