Survey Data

Reg No

16301223


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1860 - 1865


Coordinates

326580, 218762


Date Recorded

25/06/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey former house, built in 1863 as one of an (originally) uniform row of twelve, now is use as offices and a shop. To the west there is a full-width single-storey former porch projection. The fa├žade is finished in brick and painted render with moulded quoins and window surrounds, and a parapet with eaves cornice. The roof is hidden behind the parapet and has a rendered chimneystack. There are two entrances, one to the porch and one to the eastern end. The latter entrance appears to be a later insertion in place of a window, and has a panelled timber door, three-quarter Tuscan column 'jambs', entablature with cornice, and semi-circular fanlight, whilst the entrance to the former porch has a c.1990s mainly glazed double door with semi-circular fanlight. Judging from the property at the opposite end of the terrace, the eastern entrance's door, 'jambs' and entablature may have been taken from that of the porch. The shopfront is in timber and dates from c.1995. The windows are a mixture of flat-headed and segmental-headed and most have replacement top-hung timber frames. The surrounds to the first floor windows incorporate cornice-like hoods on decorative brackets. Cast-iron rainwater goods. The building has a street frontage, the original front garden having been paved over.

Appraisal

Quinsborough Road is undoubtedly the most architecturally impressive of Bray's main thoroughfares, largely due to its three grand late 1850s / early 1860s terraces. Of the three this is the most altered, all bar two of the properties having been given over to commercial use, with many unsympathetic shopfronts inserted and front gardens lost; however the Regency style grandeur of the row is still evident and the terrace continues to make an important contribution to the streetscape.