Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1855 - 1875
End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey over basement house, built c.1865 and now divided into apartments. To front there is a single-storey over basement canted bay. The front façade is finished in brick with a decorative eaves course, with the north façade finished in unpainted render. The pitched roof is slated and has a brick chimneystack. The entrance, which is reached via a flight of stone steps with a metal guardrail, consists of a panelled timber door with three-quarter Ionic column 'jambs' on tall brick bases, entablature with cornice, and a semi-circular three-pane fanlight. The windows are flat-headed and have one over one timber sash frames and granite sills. One of the basement windows has been converted to a doorway and has a mainly glazed uPVC door. Cast-iron rainwater goods. The house fronts onto a street but is separated from it by a garden enclosed by cast-iron railings set on a low rendered wall, and matching cast-iron gate.
This 1860s house is one of a largely well preserved collection of similar properties which taken together make the west side of Eglinton Road one of the most complete mid to later Victorian groupings in the whole of Bray.