Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1855 - 1865
The esplanade was laid out between 1859-61 by William Dargan. It comprises a slightly raised concrete walkway some four metres wide which separates and protects the gardens from the beach and sea. It has a tubular metal railing with ball finials to the seaward side and a low rendered wall with wrought iron sloping railing (all of which acts as a very long bench) to the western side. Various openings on either side give access to and from the beach and gardens. There are various structures to the garden side. One is the only surviving of three bandstands. It is octagonal in plan and has decorative cast-iron columns which support a copper clad roof. In addition there is a small rectangular plan shelter which is constructed in cast-iron and timber and has a replacement metal deck roof. Also there are a number of small kiosks which have copper clad roofs; these open on summer days for the sale of confectionery.
Although conceived and constructed over 140 years ago this walkway is in regular use today for the purpose for which it was originally intended. It is a most valuable, useful and decorative Victorian legacy which complements the 19th century buildings of the promenade.