Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1855 - 1860
End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey over basement house, one of a largely identical row of twelve built in 1859, now in use as a house and a restaurant. To the front elevation there is a full-height hipped roof canted bay, whilst to the rear there is a two-storey return. The façade is finished in painted render, with 'hood' mouldings to some of the windows to the north elevation. There is a c.1990s awning above the basement level to the front and north elevations. The hipped roof is covered in artificial slate and has a slight overhang and rendered chimneystacks. The high level entrance consists of a partly glazed replacement timber door, jambs with decorative brackets, and a rectangular fanlight; it is reached via a long flight of stone steps with decorative wrought-iron railings. The steps abut those of the neighbouring property. The windows are flat-headed and have replacement uPVC frames and painted stone sills. One of the windows to the basement level of the canted bay has been made into a doorway. Cast-iron rainwater goods. The house faces out onto a seafront road, but is separated from it by a tarmaced forecourt.
Though somewhat altered in recent years with the part conversion to a restaurant and the inclusion of uPVC window frames, this residence belongs of one of Bray's earliest and most complete seafront terraces. It therefore remains of considerable importance in terms of local heritage and also makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.