Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Terraced four-bay three-storey former house built c.1870, now in use as a nursing home. The building is finished in render. A short flight of steps, with cast-iron guard rails, rises to the panelled front door; this is flanked by panelled pilasters with console brackets which support a projecting cornice. Sidelight and the fanlight are plain and all is set within a semi-circular-headed opening which has a raised moulded surround which in turn has a projecting cornice with console brackets. To one side is a canted bay, which is single-storey over basement. Window openings are flat-headed with one over one uPVC frames. Second floor windows have projecting semi-circular arch headed pediments supported on console brackets while the third floor has similar but simplified dressings. The pitched roof is finished with slate and has cast-iron rainwater goods and a bracketed overhanging eaves. The building is road fronted.
Although it was altered in the later 20th century, this remains a good example of a conversion of a house to "commercial" use. It is well preserved and in good condition and its character and detailing adds much to the quality of this mainly 19th century street.