Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1805
Detached multiple-bay two-storey former Martello tower, built 1804-5, and now in use as a private residence. The building is constructed in coursed granite. The circular tower comprises of a high battered granite wall with small plain defensive openings. It is now surmounted by a glazed "drum" with a glazed conical roof. The tower overlooks the shoreline and site on a bailey-like artificial mound which is contained by a battered stone wall.
A good example of a Martello tower which has found a new use. Originally Bray had two such towers but that to the east of Strand Road was demolished in 1884. This is an important example of comprehensive sea defences which were erected around the British Isles in the early 19th century to resist the threat of invasion by the French.