Survey Data

Reg No

16301084


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

Martello tower


In Use As

House


Date

1800 - 1805


Coordinates

326879, 219029


Date Recorded

01/07/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached multiple-bay two-storey former Martello tower, built 1804-5, and now in use as a private residence. The building is constructed in coursed granite. The circular tower comprises of a high battered granite wall with small plain defensive openings. It is now surmounted by a glazed "drum" with a glazed conical roof. The tower overlooks the shoreline and site on a bailey-like artificial mound which is contained by a battered stone wall.

Appraisal

A good example of a Martello tower which has found a new use. Originally Bray had two such towers but that to the east of Strand Road was demolished in 1884. This is an important example of comprehensive sea defences which were erected around the British Isles in the early 19th century to resist the threat of invasion by the French.