1890 - 1895
Royal Drummond Institute
Detached multiple-bay two-storey school, built in 1892 as Royal Drummond Institute for Girls, in use as national school since 1946. Used as military hospital and orpnage for girls of dead soldiers 1917 -1944. The building is finished in red brick to the ground floor and with render to the first floor and mock half timbering to the gables. Either side of the front façade are two-storey projecting gabled bays. The front double doors have a plain fanlight over and are set within a segmental arch headed opening; this is flanked by sidelights which also have a segmental arch headed opening. Above is a projecting gabled two-storey bay which is supported on plain concrete columns; this is surmounted by an open copper clad bell tower. To the first floor is an inscription with the date 1946; this is flanked with moulded decorative panels. Window openings are either flat-headed or with segmental arch heads. Multiple pane replacement windows are uPVC. To the rear is a large modern extension. The hipped roof is finished with natural slate with plain red clay ridge tiles. Chimneystacks are in brick with corbelled caps and clay pots. The school faces the road but is well set back behind wrought-iron railings.
Despite the replacement windows and the modern extension, this school remains a positive asset, adding variety to the town's built heritage.