Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1895 - 1905
Detached multiple-bay three-storey Gothic Style hotel, built 1900. The building is constructed in red brick with the ground floor finished in smooth painted render. The façade comprises a series of mainly canted bays which have hipped, gabled or spire like slated roofs. The gabled roofs have decorative brackets supporting the overhanging eaves. The main entrance is at the head of an external stair with decorative wrought-iron balustrades. At first floor there are two decorative timber balconies which span between canted bays. The part glazed door has glazed sidelights and a decorative fanlight all set within a gothic-arched opening with sandstone dressing. The opening is framed with painted pilasters. Window openings are either flat-headed or gothic arch-headed with mixed sash timber frames. The pitched roof is slated with mainly cast-iron rainwater goods. Chimneystacks are in brick with corbelled caps and clay pots. The hotel is slightly set back from the promenade behind a brick wall with octagonal gate pillars with painted caps and replacement decorative cast-iron brackets supporting globe lights. The former garden is now in use as a carpark.
Well preserved late Victorian hotel which retains much of its original detailing and all of its original grandeur. Its proportions add considerably to the streetscape of the sea front.