Survey Data

Reg No

16301013


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Previous Name

Elsinore


Original Use

Hotel


In Use As

Hotel


Date

1840 - 1860


Coordinates

327301, 218122


Date Recorded

25/06/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay two-storey over basement with dormered-attic hotel, built c.1850. The building is finished in render with moulded quoins and decorative window surrounds. The front door is set within an open flat-roofed porch which has a gothic arched opening with moulded archivolt which is supported on circular columns with decorative carved capitals. To the east is a two-storey canted bay with a tall hipped roof while to the north is a single-storey flat-roofed bay. To the east façade is a c.1990 projecting flat-roofed entrance canopy which leads into the basement lounge bar. Window openings are flat-headed with replacement top-hung metal frames; dormer windows are gabled. The pitched roof is covered with artificial slate and rainwater goods are a mixture of uPVC and cast-iron. The hotel is at the southern side of the promenade and is slightly set back from the pavement. The former side garden is laid our as a carpark.

Appraisal

A well preserved example of an early but quite modest hotel which recalls the Victorian love of the seaside. It forms an important part of the promenade which is comprised of mainly Victorian houses. Sir William and Lady Jane Wilde built Esplanade Terrace and Elsinore (now the Strand Hotel) as an investment. Oscar Wide inherited the properties in 1876 and sold them in 1878.