Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Detached three-bay two-storey over basement with dormered-attic hotel, built c.1850. The building is finished in render with moulded quoins and decorative window surrounds. The front door is set within an open flat-roofed porch which has a gothic arched opening with moulded archivolt which is supported on circular columns with decorative carved capitals. To the east is a two-storey canted bay with a tall hipped roof while to the north is a single-storey flat-roofed bay. To the east façade is a c.1990 projecting flat-roofed entrance canopy which leads into the basement lounge bar. Window openings are flat-headed with replacement top-hung metal frames; dormer windows are gabled. The pitched roof is covered with artificial slate and rainwater goods are a mixture of uPVC and cast-iron. The hotel is at the southern side of the promenade and is slightly set back from the pavement. The former side garden is laid our as a carpark.
A well preserved example of an early but quite modest hotel which recalls the Victorian love of the seaside. It forms an important part of the promenade which is comprised of mainly Victorian houses. Sir William and Lady Jane Wilde built Esplanade Terrace and Elsinore (now the Strand Hotel) as an investment. Oscar Wide inherited the properties in 1876 and sold them in 1878.