1860 - 1890
Retaining wall, built c.1875, marking change in level between Main Street and The Mall, with flight of steps connecting Main Street down to The Mall. Octagonal-profile cut granite pier with curved cap to east and west ends, supporting cast-iron post with curlicue foot and lantern over. Cut granite wall to east end. Roughcast rendered walls to north elevation, with cut granite copings, appearing as plinth to Main Street elevation, with wrought-iron railings with cast-iron finials. Circular-profile cast-iron piers with decorative wrought-iron structure supporting lantern over. Dressed granite corbels to north elevation, with wrought-iron bracing supporting railings. Granite steps with roughcast rendered retaining wall and plain wrought-iron railings to Mall elevation. Granite kerbstones to Main Street.
An elegant solution to the change in levels in the town. The retaining wall creates two distinct streets, distinguishing Main Street from The Mall. The railings allow visible permeability between the two streets and the steps provide a practical pedestrian connection. The cut stone and cast-iron railings show skilled design and execution.