Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1900
Wall-mounted painted cast-iron post box, erected c.1880, having V R cipher and crown, post office lettering and manufacturer's mark.
One of the older post boxes in Wicklow town, this post-dates the setting out of Market Street in the 1860's. This type of box, the B size flat-topped wall box of the later Victorian period, was manufactured by W T Allen of London, like many of the other boxes in the town. Despite repeated repaintings, the V R cipher, crown, and post office lettering are still evident today, indicating the durability and crispness of the original casting. Like many post boxes in Ireland, it was undisturbed following independence, apart from the superficial yet effective transformation by repainting in green rather than pillar box red.