Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1770 - 1810
Corner-sited attached four-bay three-storey over basement house, built c.1790; renovated and shopfront inserted to front (west) elevation c.1880, and having three-bay two-storey return with integral carriage entrance to south elevation, built c.1920. Now in use as pub, formerly also in use as shop. Pitched slate roofs with terracotta ridge tiles and rendered chimneystacks, cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted lined-and-ruled rendered walls, channelled painted rendered walls to ground floor. Square-headed blank windows with moulded surrounds and painted sills to second floor south elevation. Unpainted smooth rendered walls to rear elevations. Square-headed window openings throughout, having timber sliding sash windows with one-over-one panes to front elevation and two-over-two panes to south elevation first floor, replacement timber windows to other openings. Carved timber shopfront comprising nameboard and cornice over carved timber pilasters with consoles, flanking replacement display window over panelled riser with timber sill, and vertically divided timber panelled doors, with segmental-headed overlight, leading to lobby with replacement glazed timber door. Square-headed door openings with replacement timber doors and roller shutters to front and side elevations.
While the building has undergone some recent alterations, it nonetheless retains much notable heritage fabric, including its carved timber shopfront with the scrolled foliate consoles typical of the town. It appears to predate the creation of Market Street, and its notable form and roofline make a positive contribution to Market Street, Market Square and Quarantine Hill, due to its prominently sited corner position.