Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical

Previous Name

Bridge Hotel

Original Use


Historical Use


In Use As

Public house


1730 - 1770


331570, 194013

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached complex-plan former house, comprising five-bay three-storey Georgian house, built c.1750, having three-bay side (south) elevation, with taller three-bay three-storey block to south end of rear (east) elevation, and two-storey annex joining to multiple-bay two-storey block to north end. Extensively renovated c.1986 following fire damage. Now in use as public house and guest house. Hipped, pitched, and half-hipped slate roofs with rendered chimneystacks and some cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted lined-and-ruled rendered walls with render quoins and decorative painted motifs. Square-headed window openings with painted sills, with timber sliding sash windows having six-over-six panes, three-over-three panes to top floor. Replacement casement windows to north block. Wrought-iron window guards to ground floor front elevation. Segmental-headed opening with painted double-leaf shutters and timber pulley to first floor front elevation. Elliptical-headed door openings, comprising decorative tympanum over timber panelled double doors, with sidelights, that to front elevation having tympanum set into nameplate supported on carved consoles. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door to south elevation. Recent shopfront to south block. Beer garden to north, with recent walls and railings to riverside.


A complex multi-phase building, given coherence by a consistent decorative treatment, with lined-and-ruled render and render quoins. It is said to be the birthplace of Captain Robert Halpin, whose father James was an innkeeper. The decorative motifs reflect Halpin’s seafaring career as a master mariner laying transoceanic cables.