Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1865 - 1870
Attached five-bay two-storey house, built 1869, with integral carriage arch to west end, and having multiple-bay two-storey extension to rear (south). Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted lined-and-ruled rendered walls, with chamfered corner to south-east. Square-headed window openings with pedimented decorative painted render surrounds with painted sills, wrought-iron window guards and replacement windows. Segmental-headed door opening, with timber paneled door having carved timber surround with cornice and consoles, with plain overlight. Segmental-headed carriage arch with timber battened doors. Recent gates and railings to yard entrance.
The form and scale of this building creates a pleasing feature in the street, with the tall windows counterpointing the broad façade. It is an important element in the streetscape, positioned at the junction of Bridge Street and South Quay. Its simple form is enhanced by the crisp lined-and-ruled render. The window and door surrounds add decorative interest, and demonstrate skilled craftsmanship.