Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1865
Detached three-bay two-storey house with attic storey, built 1864, having two-storey return, and multiple-bay lower two-storey with dormer attic extension to rear (west). Now in use as youth hostel. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, timber bargeboards, and recent rooflights. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls render quoins and painted stone string course. Square-headed window openings with painted sills, having two-over-two pane timber sliding sash windows. Segmental-headed door opening with timber panelled door with painted carved timber door surround having cornice supported by pilasters, the whole surmounted with plain overlight. Set in own grounds with rendered boundary walls with granite coping, cast-iron railings and pedestrian gate. Elliptical-headed carriage arch to screen wall continuation of facade to south.
A handsome mid-Victorian house enhanced by the symmetry of its fenestration. The retention of heritage fabric including roof slates, joinery, railings and cut granite coping provide textural interest contrasting with the smooth rendered walls, as well as creating a valuable patina of age. Of historical interest as the home of the Master Mariner, Captain Robert Halpin. Born in Wicklow town, he captained the SS Great Eastern which laid the transatlantic telegraph cable between Valentia, County Kerry and Novia Scotia in Canada.