Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
Wicklow Constabulary Barrack
Garda station/constabulary barracks
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Attached five-bay two-storey over basement Georgian house, built c.1810, having single-bay two-storey annex to south elevation, and extension built c.1860 to rear (east) elevation. Formerly used as police station and garda barracks, 1876 to 1969. Hipped slate roof with paired lined-and-ruled rendered chimneystacks with terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted lined-and-ruled rendered walls with cut granite plinth course. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, having six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows to main block, and three-over-six and four-over-four to annex. Elliptical-headed door opening with timber panelled door flanked by ionic columns, one missing capital, with cobweb fanlight. Granite steps. Granite plinth with cast-iron railings to basement area.
A well-proportioned and imposing Georgian house. The symmetry of the fenestration, the round-headed central doorway and fanlight, and the paired chimneystacks are all typical of the period, and create a pleasing elevation on Church Street. Typically of Wicklow town, granite is used for the sills and plinth wall. Of historical interest as a former constabulary and Garda barracks.