Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Archaeological Social Technical
In Use As
1680 - 1700
Seven-arch stone bridge spanning Leitrim River, built c.1690, widened to north, 1862; having segmental arches and V-cutwaters to both elevations. Rubble stone walls and parapet walls to south elevation of bridge, with cast-iron tie-bars, dressed granite voussoirs and cut granite coping to parapet wall. Snecked rock-faced rusticated granite walls to north elevation, with cut granite string course and rendered parapet walls with cut granite coping, and cut granite voussoirs. Rubble stone quay walls, having cut granite coping, with pedestrian gateways with dressed stone steps and recent gates to east and west quay walls.
An impressive bridge built in two phases, the first phase was funded by subscription. It displays the development of bridge construction from the seventeenth to the nineteenth centuries. Lewis refers to an eight-arch bridge in 1837, and it appears that one arch was subsequently blocked. The older part of the bridge shows the rough-hewn stone and simple form of its time, while the nineteenth century shows more articulation and formal definition with a string course and voussoirs of cut stone. Henry Brett, previously county surveyor of Offaly, Mayo and Waterford, was responsible for the nineteenth-century works. The bridge and quays make an important contribution to the townscape. The quays are also a reminder of the long history of Wicklow town as a port.