Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Archaeological Historical Social
In Use As
1600 - 1900
Church of Ireland graveyard, in use from c.1600, with carved stone grave markers and funerary monuments, some enclosed with cast-iron railings. Accessed on south corner through square-profile cut granite piers with carved pineapple finials; double-leaf wrought-iron gates with lantern holder over. Granite steps with rendered rubble stone retaining walls, with cut granite coping. Rubble stone boundary walls; retaining wall to road boundary to south-west. Probable site of medieval church.
Forming a notable group with its associated church, this graveyard is an important and visible feature on Church Hill. Containing many grave markers demonstrating skilled design and execution, it is also of historical interest as the resting place of Captain Robert Halpin, the noted Wicklow mariner. Both Church of Ireland and Roman Catholic grave markers are found here. Although now decommissioned, it is of considerable continuing social importance to the Church of Ireland community.