Survey Data

Reg No

16000052


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1890 - 1900


Coordinates

331186, 194375


Date Recorded

04/10/2010


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached three-bay two-storey late-Victorian house, built c.1895, with projecting gabled end bay to front (west) elevation, having canted bay window with hipped slate roof to projecting bay, and having recent glazed entrance porch with hipped slate roof to front elevation, two-storey full-height return, and recent extensions to side and rear. Pitched slate roofs with decorative timber bargeboards and finial, terracotta ridge crestings, moulded red brick eaves course, red brick chimneystacks with decorative cornices, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Fishscale slates to porch and bay window. Unpainted rendered walls, having red brick quoins. Square-headed window openings having red brick block-and-start surrounds and granite sills, with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed door opening to porch having timber panelled door with plain overlight, flanked by sidelights and timber sliding sash windows, with granite sills. Wrought-iron double-leaf gates and square-profile granite piers to site entrance.

Appraisal

A fine late-Victorian suburban house with decorative bargeboards. The retention of original fabric including chimney pots, rainwater goods, and timber windows creates an appropriate patina of age. The mass production of red brick in the nineteenth century made it a reliable and affordable building material, making it popular for decorative effects. Its use here enhances and adds definition to the form of the building.