Survey Data

Reg No

16000051


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1890 - 1900


Coordinates

331181, 194386


Date Recorded

04/10/2010


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached three-bay two-storey late-Victorian house, built c.1895, with projecting gabled end bay to front (west) elevation, having canted bay window with hipped slate roof extended over door to form open porch, and having two-storey full-height return, and recent extensions to rear. Pitched slate roofs with decorative timber bargeboards and finial, terracotta ridge crestings, moulded red brick eaves course, red brick chimneystacks with decorative cornices, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Unpainted rendered walls, having red brick quoins. Square-headed window openings having red brick block-and-start surrounds and granite sills, with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows, with replacement windows to bay window and rear elevation. Elliptical-headed door opening having timber panelled door flanked by painted pilasters, with petal overlight over. Recent gates to site entrance.

Appraisal

A fine late Victorian suburban house with decorative bargeboards. The retention of original fabric including chimney pots, rainwater goods, and timber windows creates an appropriate patina of age. The mass production of red brick in the nineteenth century made it a reliable and affordable building material, making it popular for decorative effects. Its use here enhances and adds definition to the form of the building.