Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1900 - 1910
Semi-detached three-bay two-storey Edwardian house, built 1905, with two-storey return to rear (west) elevation, and matching pair to north. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge crestings, red brick end chimneystacks with decorative cornices, cast-iron rainwater goods, and render eaves course. Unpainted lined-and-ruled rendered walls with render quoins. Square-headed window openings with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and granite sills. Segmental-headed door opening with timber panelled door, having timber consoles and lintel with plain overlight, the whole surrounded by moulded render surround. Steps and retaining walls to front path. Wrought-iron double-leaf pedestrian gates, cast-iron piers, wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth with cut granite copings.
An interesting group of semi-detached houses, not just for this pair, but for the two other near-identical pairs on the street and forming part of a collection of other Edwardian houses in the vicinity. The use of decorative elements such as ridge crestings, eaves course and quoins, chimneystack cornices and door surround emphasise the formal properties of the structure. The decorative rainwater goods and the gates and railings indicate the skilled design and craftsmanship of cast-iron in the early twentieth century. Ironwork by R.Sheane of Wicklow.