Survey Data

Reg No

16000042


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Technical


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1900 - 1910


Coordinates

331143, 194352


Date Recorded

04/10/2010


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached three-bay two-storey Edwardian house, built 1905, with two-storey return to rear (west) elevation, and matching pair to south. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge crestings, red brick end chimneystacks with decorative cornices, cast-iron rainwater goods, and render eaves course. Unpainted lined-and-ruled rendered walls with render quoins. Square-headed window openings with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and granite sills. Segmental-headed door opening with half-glazed timber panelled door, having timber consoles and lintel with plain overlight, the whole surrounded by moulded render surround. Wrought-iron double-leaf pedestrian gates, cast-iron piers with maker's mark, wrought-iron railings on rendered plinth with cut granite copings.

Appraisal

An interesting group of semi-detached houses, not just for this pair, but for the two other near-identical pairs on the street and forming part of a collection of other Edwardian houses in the vicinity. The use of decorative elements such as ridge crestings, eaves course and quoins, chimneystack cornices and door surround emphasise the formal properties of the structure. The decorative rainwater goods and the gates and railings indicate the skilled design and craftsmanship of cast-iron in the early twentieth century. Gate post bears inscription "R.Sheane Wicklow".