Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1842 - 1902
Detached four-bay single-storey thatched farmhouse with half-dormer attic, extant 1902, on a cranked T-shaped plan; single-bay (single-bay deep) full-height double-pile central return (south). Occupied, 1911. Hipped or pitched oat thatch roof overhanging flat or lean-to roofs to window openings to half-dormer attic; corrugated-iron surface finish to rear (south) elevation centred on pitched double-pile (M-profile) slate roof, pressed iron ridge, concrete or rendered coping to gables with cement rendered dwarf chimney stacks to apexes centred on cement rendered dwarf chimney stack having concrete capping, and exposed wire stretchers to eaves having exposed hazel or sally scallops. Roughcast battered walls bellcast over rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with concrete sills, and concealed dressings framing one-over-one (ground floor) or three-over-six (half-dormer attic) timber sash windows having part exposed sash boxes. Street fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A farmhouse identified as an integral component of the nineteenth-century vernacular heritage of south County Wexford by such attributes as the compact plan form; the construction in unrefined local materials displaying a battered silhouette; the disproportionate bias of solid to void in the massing compounded by the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the high pitched roof showing an oat thatch finish. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thus upholding the character or integrity of the composition. Furthermore, adjacent outbuildings (extant 1902) continue to contribute positively to the group and setting values of a self-contained ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in a rural village street scene.