Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1842 - 1878
Detached three-bay single-storey farmhouse with half-dormer attic, extant 1878, on an L-shaped plan with single-bay full-height gabled projecting end bay; pair of single-bay (single-bay deep) full-height returns (east) centred on single-bay (single-bay deep) full-height return. Occupied, 1901; 1911. Sold, 1969. Resold, 1985. "Restored", 1990. Pitched slate roof on an L-shaped plan including gablets to window openings to half-dormer attic; pitched slate roofs (east), clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stacks on chamfered cushion courses on red brick Running bond bases having stringcourses below capping supporting terracotta or yellow terracotta pots, perforated timber bargeboards to gables on timber purlins with timber finials to apexes, rooflights (east), and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Replacement rendered walls bellcast over rendered plinth; lime rendered or roughcast surface finish to side (north) elevation. Segmental-headed central door opening with cut-granite step threshold, and concealed dressings framing timber panelled door having overlight. Square-headed window openings with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement six-over-six timber sash windows without horns having part exposed sash boxes. Square-headed window openings to rear (east) elevation centred on segmental-headed window opening (half-landing) with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement six-over-six timber sash windows without horns having part exposed sash boxes centred on fixed-pane fitting having fanlight. Set in landscaped grounds.
A farmhouse representing an integral component of the nineteenth-century domestic built heritage of the outskirts of Taghmon with the architectural value of the composition, one potentially repurposing an eighteenth-century house occupied by the Batts (cf. 15615017), confirmed by such attributes as the compact plan form centred on a canopied doorcase; the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the decorative timber work embellishing the roofline. Having been successfully restored following a period of unoccupancy in the later twentieth century, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original or sympathetically replicated fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thereby upholding the character or integrity of the composition. Furthermore, an adjacent coach house-cum-stable outbuilding (extant 1903) continues to contribute positively to the group and setting values of a self-contained ensemble having historic connections with the Taghmon parish Church of Ireland clergy including Reverend Thomas John Jacob (d. 1871), 'Clerk late of Ozier Hill County Wexford' (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1872, 309; cf. 15615015); Reverend Nathaniel Switzer (d. 1878), 'Clerk formerly of Kilmanagh Callan County Kilkenny and late of Ozierhill [sic] Taghmon County Wexford' (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1878, 689); Reverend William Raymond Evans (----), 'Clerk in Holy Orders [and] Rector of Taghmon [in] Diocese of Ferns' (NA 1901; NA 1911); and Reverend Thomas William Lowe (----); and Captain Rudland "Rudd" Cairns (1921-98).