Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Scientific, Technical
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Three-arch bridge over river, extant 1840. Part creeper- or ivy-covered coursed rubble stone walls centred on seaweed-covered triangular cutwaters to piers with lichen-covered cut-limestone stringcourses supporting parapets having rubble stone soldier course coping. Series of three round arches with drag edged tooled limestone ashlar voussoirs centred on drag edged tooled limestone ashlar block-and-start voussoirs. Sited spanning Campile River with unkempt grass banks to river.
A bridge representing an important component of the civil engineering heritage of south County Wexford with the architectural value of the composition confirmed not only by the construction in an ochre-coloured fieldstone offset by deep blue limestone dressings demonstrating good quality workmanship, but also by the elegant "sweep" of the arches making a pleasing visual statement at a crossing over the Campile River: meanwhile, a discreet benchmark remains of additional interest for the connections with cartography and the preparation of maps by the Ordnance Survey (established 1824).