Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
1800 - 1840
Remains of detached seven-bay two-storey over basement country house, extant 1840, on a H- or U-shaped plan with two-bay two-storey projecting end bays centred on (single-storey) prostyle Tuscan colonnade to ground floor; four-bay two-storey side elevations. Occupied, 1901. Vacant, 1911. Burnt, 1957. Demolished, 1958. Set in landscaped grounds.
An ivy-enveloped colonnade surviving as an interesting relic of a country house destroyed (1957) by accidental fire. Furthermore, a nearby lime kiln (see 157029--); a nearby walled garden (see 15703402); and a distant gate lodge (see 157034--), all continue to contribute positively to the group and setting values of an estate having historic connections with the Sankey family including Colonel Richard Jones Sankey (Lewis 1837 II, 531-2); and the Tyndall family including Robert Tyndall (1800-80), one-time High Sheriff of County Kilkenny (fl. 1884); Robert Tyndall (1837-1917), 'Pensioner of Indian Public Works Department late of Oaklands New Ross County Wexford' (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1917, 758); and Lieutenant Colonel Robert Tyndall (1874-1953) 'of Oaklands who died at New Ross' (cf. 15605289).