Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Scientific, Social, Technical

Original Use



1840 - 1845


300465, 126782

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached three-bay double-height single-cell Ecclesiastical Commissioners' Church of Ireland church, built 1844; dedicated 1844, on a rectangular plan with single-bay single-storey gabled projecting porch to entrance (west) front. Deconsecrated, 1971. Pitched slate roof with roll moulded clay ridge tiles, lichen-covered cut-granite "saddleback" coping to gables on cut-granite battlemented ogee corbel kneelers including lichen-covered cut-granite "saddleback" coping to gable to entrance (west) front with lichen-spotted cut-granite gabled bellcote to apex, and cast-iron rainwater goods on cut-granite eaves retaining cast-iron octagonal or ogee hoppers and downpipes. Part repointed tuck pointed coursed rubble "Old Red Sandstone" walls on benchmark-inscribed cut-granite chamfered plinth with hammered granite or "Old Red Sandstone" flush quoins to corners. Lancet window openings with cut-granite surrounds having chamfered reveals framing fixed-pane fittings having cast-iron lattice glazing bars. Pointed-arch window opening (east) with interlocking timber Y-mullions, and cut-granite surround having chamfered reveals with hood moulding on engaged octagonal label stops framing fixed-pane fittings having cast-iron lattice glazing bars. Set in landscaped grounds on a corner site.


A church erected to designs signed (1844) by Frederick Darley Junior (1798-1872), Architect for the Archdiocese of Dublin (fl. 1833-43), representing an important component of the mid nineteenth-century ecclesiastical heritage of County Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one occupying a site donated by Christopher George Harvey (1797-1848) of Kyle House (Lacy 1863, 469), confirmed by such attributes as the compact rectilinear "barn" plan form, aligned along a liturgically-correct axis; the construction in a ruby-coloured "Old Red Sandstone" offset by silver-grey granite dressings not only demonstrating good quality workmanship, but also producing a mild polychromatic palette; the slender profile of the openings underpinning a "medieval" Gothic theme with the chancel defined by a restrained "East Window"; and the jettied bellcote embellishing the roofline as a picturesque eye-catcher in the landscape (cf. 15704721): meanwhile, aspects of the composition clearly illustrate the continued development or "improvement" of the church to designs signed (16th November 1852) by Joseph Welland (1798-1860), Architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners (appointed 1843). NOTE: A wall monument commemorating Lieutenant Thomas Kynaston Walker (1897-1916) of Tykillen House was remounted in Killurin Church (Killurin) (see 15703701).