Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1700 - 1777
Detached three-bay two-storey farmhouse, extant 1777, on a rectangular plan. Occupied, 1911. Sold, 1938. Hipped slate roof with clay or terracotta ridge tiles, paired red brick Running bond central chimney stacks on red brick cushion courses on slate hung bases having stepped capping supporting yellow terracotta tapered pots, and no rainwater goods surviving on slate flagged eaves. Roughcast walls bellcast over rendered plinth. Square-headed window openings with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows without horns having part exposed sash boxes centred on four-over-four timber sash windows without horns having part exposed sash boxes. Set in landscaped grounds.
A farmhouse representing an integral component of the domestic built heritage of County Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one annotated as "Gare [of] Phaire Esquire" by Taylor and Skinner (1778 pl. 143), suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; and the disproportionate bias of solid to void in the massing compounded by the uniform or near-uniform proportions of the centralised opening on each floor. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, including crown or cylinder glazing panels in hornless sash frames, thus upholding the character or integrity of the composition. Furthermore, adjacent outbuildings (extant 1840) continue to contribute positively to the group and setting values of a self-contained ensemble having historic connections with the Codd family including John Codd (d. 1871), 'Farmer late of Garr County Wexford' (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1883, 131); and James Codd (----), 'Farmer' (NA 1911).