Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1750 - 1839
Five-arch hump back road bridge over river, extant 1839. "Repaired", 1917. Part creeper- or ivy-covered coursed rubble stone walls centred on triangular cutwaters to piers to upriver (north) elevation having moss-covered pyramidal capping with rubble stone or schist diagonal soldier course coping to parapets. Series of five segmental arches with schist-inserted granite ashlar voussoirs centred on cut-granite keystones. Sited spanning River Slaney with unkempt grass banks to river.
A bridge representing an important component of the later eighteenth-century civil engineering heritage of north County Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one recalling the contemporary Scarawalsh Bridge (1790; see 15702002) and thereby attributable to the Oriel Brothers of Hampshire, confirmed not only by the silver-grey granite dressings demonstrating good quality workmanship, but also by the elegant "sweep" of the arches making a pleasing visual statement at a crossing over the River Slaney: meanwhile, aspects of the composition illustrate the partial reconstruction of the bridge (1917) on behalf of Enniscorthy Rural Council (The Builder 1917, 266).