Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Archaeological, Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1835 - 1840


279430, 105172

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding three-bay double-height Church of Ireland church, built 1837, on a rectangular plan comprising two-bay double-height nave opening into single-bay double-height chancel (east). Restored, 2008. Pitched slate roofs with clay ridge tiles, cut-granite coping to gables including cut-granite coping to gable (west) with rendered gabled bellcote to apex, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves with cast-iron octagonal or ogee hoppers and downpipes. Cement rendered battered walls on rendered chamfered plinth; rendered, ruled and lined surface finish (west) with rusticated rendered quoins to ends. Round-headed window openings with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing storm glazing over three-over-six timber sash windows having interlocking Y-tracery glazing bars. Pointed-arch window opening (east) with cut-granite interlocking Y-mullions, and hammered granite block-and-start surround having chamfered reveals with hood moulding framing iron mesh storm screen over fixed-pane fittings having leaded stained glass panels. Square-headed door opening (west) with concrete threshold, and cut-granite block-and-start surround centred on keystone framing replacement timber boarded double doors. Pointed-arch window opening (gable) with Y-mullion, and cut-granite block-and-start surround having chamfered reveals framing storm glazing over fixed-pane fittings margined lattice glazing bars. Interior including vestibule (west); square-headed door opening into nave with glazed timber panelled double doors; full-height interior with balustraded choir gallery (west), central aisle between timber pews, cut-marble wall monuments (1846; 1915), trefoil-perforated timber panelled pulpit on an octagonal plan with timber clerk's desk, and chancel arch framing stepped dais to chancel (east) with altar below stained glass memorial "East Window" (1900). Set in landscaped grounds with rendered panelled piers to perimeter having lichen-covered pyramidal capping supporting timber gate.


A church representing an important component of the ecclesiastical heritage of south County Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one repurposing 'an ancient structure [1684] in a very dilapidated state' [SMR WX050-011001-], confirmed by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; the battered silhouette; the Churchwarden glazing patterns underpinning a contemporary Georgian Gothic theme with the chancel showing cusped "East Window" installed (1879) 'under the superintendence of Richard Langrishe [1834-1922]' (The Irish Builder 15th May 1879, 146); and the simple bellcote embellishing the roof as a picturesque eye-catcher in the landscape. Having been well maintained, the form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the restrained interior where a medieval Caen or Dundry stone font reclaimed from Dunbrody Abbey (Hore 1904 IV, 338; cf. 15704609); contemporary joinery; wall monuments commemorating Reverend Edmund Charles Pendleton (1800-46) and the Taylors of nearby Grangeville (see 15619003); the Lynn Memorial "East Window" supplied (1900) by Heaton, Butler and Bayne (fl. 1862-1953) of London; and sleek plasterwork refinements, all highlight the artistic potential of a church making a pleasing visual statement in a bayside village street scene.