Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1905 - 1939
Attached three-bay three-storey commercial building, extant 1939, on a rectangular plan with shopfront to ground floor. Pitched slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stacks having corbelled stepped capping supporting terracotta pots, and concealed rainwater goods with replacement uPVC rainwater goods to rear (east) elevation on timber eaves boards. Rendered wall to front (west) elevation with rendered panelled pilasters supporting balustraded parapet on cornice having ball finial-topped coping; rendered surface finish (remainder). Rendered shopfront to ground floor on a symmetrical plan centred on timber boarded double doors. Paired square-headed window openings (upper floors) centred on square-headed window openings with concrete sills, and rendered "bas-relief" surrounds with hood mouldings framing one-over-one timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings to rear (east) elevation with concrete sills, and concealed dressings framing one-over-one timber sash windows behind wrought iron bars. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A commercial building representing an important component of the early twentieth-century built heritage of New Ross with the architectural value of the composition confirmed by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; the slight diminishing in scale of the coupled openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the balustraded roofline. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric including a symmetrically-composed shopfront making a pleasing visual statement in North Street at street level.