Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1785 - 1795
Attached five-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, built 1790, possibly originally two separate terraced two-bay two-storey (south-east) and three-bay two-storey (north-east) houses with square-headed carriageway to left ground floor Reroofed, c.1950. Refenestrated. Now in use as apartments. Pitched roof with replacement fibre-cement slate, c.1950, terracotta ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks having stepped capping supporting yellow terracotta tapered pots, rooflights, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron ties. Roughcast walls. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows retaining some timber casement windows to rear (south-west) elevation. Square-headed door opening with threshold, and timber panelled double doors having overlight. Square-headed carriageway to left ground floor with timber lintel, and timber boarded double doors incorporating elliptical-headed wicket gate. Interior with timber staircase having turned timber balustrade supporting carved timber handrail, and tongue-and-groove timber panelled ceilings. Street fronted in hollow [SS].
Occupying a position in a hollow reputedly representing one of the early main streets in Enniscorthy in the period prior to the introduction of the railway to the town, a house of the middle size represents an important element of the late eighteenth- or early nineteenth-century domestic architectural heritage of the locality. Although compromised by the introduction of replacement fittings to most of the openings, elsewhere the original composition attributes survive largely in place together with a quantity of the historic or original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thus maintaining some of the character or integrity of the site in Mary Street.