Categories of Special Interest
1815 - 1835
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1825. Extensively renovated, c.1950. Pitched roof with replacement fibre-cement slate, c.1950, clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stack having stepped capping supporting yellow terracotta tapered pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron brackets. Rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with one in tripartite arrangement to ground floor having cut-stone sills supporting iron sill guard to ground floor, carved timber surround to tripartite opening, and replacement one-over-one timber sash windows, c.1950, having one-over-one sidelights to tripartite opening. Elliptical-headed door opening with cut-granite step, splayed reveals, Doric doorcase having columns on padstones supporting entablature, cornice, timber panelled door having sidelights, and overlight. Interior retaining timber panelled reveals or shutters to some window openings. Street fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An elegant house of the middle size representing an important element of the mid nineteenth-century urban domestic architectural legacy of Enniscorthy making a positive contribution to the streetscape aesthetic of Weafer Street. Exhibiting a dignified, if understated architectural design sensibility, the external expression of the house is enlivened by attributes including the vertical emphasis of the massing, a Wyatt-influenced tripartite opening exhibiting good quality carpentry, an elegant Classically-detailed doorcase belonging to the so-called 'Morrison' type normally associated with New Ross and the environs, and so on. Having been well maintained, the house presents an early aspect with substantial quantities of the historic fabric surviving in place, both to the exterior and to the interior, thus making a beneficial impact on the character of the immediate setting.