Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1795
Attached five-bay three-storey house, dated 1793, on a rectangular plan with remains of shopfront to left ground floor. Renovated, ----. Pitched fibre-cement slate roof with ridge tiles, rendered, ruled and lined chimney stacks having stepped capping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered red brick header bond stepped eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Rendered, ruled and lined walls with cut-limestone off-central date stone ("1793"). Square-headed central door opening with cut-granite threshold, and concealed dressings framing glazed timber panelled door. Remains of shopfront to left ground floor. Square-headed window openings with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement aluminium casement windows. Interior including (ground floor): central hall retaining staircase on a dog leg plan with timber "spindle" balusters supporting carved timber banister terminating in turned timber newels. Street fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A house erected by Joseph Sparrow (1700-93) of Killabeg House (see 15702010) representing an integral component of the late eighteenth-century built heritage of Enniscorthy with the architectural value of the composition suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form centred on a somewhat featureless doorcase; the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the high pitched roofline. Having been reasonably well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, including the remains of a traditional Irish shopfront of modest artistic interest: however, the introduction of replacement fittings to most of the openings has not had a beneficial impact on the character or integrity of a house making a pleasing visual statement in Main Street.