Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1895 - 1900


291670, 157023

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached single-bay (six-bay deep) two-storey gable-fronted chapel-cum-dormitory, built 1898, on a rectangular plan originally attached. Remodelled, 1970, producing present composition. Pitched slate roof, clay ridge tiles with Celtic Cross finial to apex (north), and replacement uPVC rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Replacement cement rendered, ruled and lined walls. Pointed-arch window opening (north) with cut-granite millions, and cut-granite block-and-start surround having chamfered reveals with hood moulding on nail head-detailed label stops framing storm glazing over fixed-pane fittings having leaded stained glass panels. Square-headed window openings (first floor) with concrete sills, and concealed dressings framing three-over-six timber sash windows. Set in relandscaped grounds.


A chapel-cum-dormitory surviving as a relic of the Convent of the Faithful Companions of Jesus complex opened (1861) by Mother Josephine Petit (----) on a site donated by Reverend James Parle CC (d. 1870) with the architectural value of the composition, one originally adjoining the Richard Pierce (1801-54)-designed Saint Mary Magdalene's Catholic Church (1825-6; demolished 1970), suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; the cusped "North Window" demonstrating good quality workmanship; and the high pitched roofline.