1800 - 1839
GOREY CORPORATION LANDS
Archival Description [Demolished 2010]: Detached two--bay two-storey house, extant 1839, on a rectangular plan originally two separate single-bay two-storey houses. Vacant, 2005. Hipped slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles centred on repointed red brick Running bond chimney stack having stepped capping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron ogee hoppers and downpipes. Rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed central door opening (south) with concealed dressings framing timber panelled door. Outline of square-headed central door opening (north) with rendered infill. Square-headed window openings with concrete sills, and concealed dressings framing one-over-one timber sash windows having part exposed sash boxes. Street fronted with footpath to front.
Archival Appraisal [Demolished 2010]: A house identified as an integral component of the urban vernacular heritage of Gorey by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; the disproportionate bias of solid to void in the massing compounded by the very slight diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a feint graduated visual impression; and the high pitched roof showing a rough cut slate finish. A prolonged period of unoccupancy notwithstanding, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the historic or original fabric, thus upholding the character or integrity of a house making a pleasing visual statement in Grattan Street.