Survey Data

Reg No

15505024


Date

1875 - 1880


Townland

TOWNPARKS (PART OF ST. PETER'SPARISH)


County

County Wexford


Coordinates

304889, 121539


Description

End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey townhouse, built 1879, on a square plan; two-bay three-storey rear (south) elevation. Renovated, ----, to accommodate continued alternative use. One of a terrace of eight. Replacement pitched artificial slate roof with ridge tiles, rendered coping to gables with red brick Running bond chimney stacks to apexes having corbelled stepped capping supporting terracotta or yellow terracotta pots, and uPVC rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed door opening with cut-granite step threshold, and concealed dressings framing timber panelled door having overlight. Square-headed window openings with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing replacement uPVC casement windows replacing two-over-two timber sash windows. Interior including (ground floor): hall retaining carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors, staircase on a dog leg plan with timber balusters supporting carved timber banister terminating in ball finial-topped turned timber newels, and carved timber surrounds to door openings to landings framing timber panelled doors. Square fronted with concrete footpath to front.

Appraisal

A townhouse erected as one of a terrace of eight houses (including 15505025 - 15505031) representing an integral component of the later nineteenth-century domestic built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition suggested by such attributes as the compact plan form; the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the high pitched roofline. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior: however, the introduction of replacement fittings to most of the openings has not had a beneficial impact on the character or integrity of a townhouse forming part of a self-contained ensemble making a pleasing visual statement overlooking Saint Peter's Square.