1842 - 1882
TOWNPARKS (PART OF ST. PETER'SPARISH)
Attached three-bay two-storey house, extant 1882, on a rectangular plan. Now disused. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles, moss-covered coping to gables with rendered chimney stacks to apexes having stringcourses below capping supporting yellow terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Rendered, ruled and lined walls; section of slate hanging to side (south) elevation. Square-headed central door opening with concrete step threshold, and moulded surround on cut-granite padstones framing timber panelled door having overlight. Square-headed flanking window openings with concrete sills supporting wrought iron sill guards, and rendered "bas-relief" surrounds framing two-over-two timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings (first floor) with concrete sills, and rendered "bas-relief" surrounds over concealed red brick voussoirs framing two-over-two timber sash windows. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A house representing an integral component of the nineteenth-century domestic built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition suggested by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form centred on a restrained doorcase; the "stepping up" of the openings on each floor producing a tiered visual effect; and the high pitched roofline. Having been reasonably well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thus upholding the character or integrity of a house making a pleasing visual statement in an urban street scene presently (2005) undergoing extensive redevelopment.