1865 - 1885
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1875, possibly incorporating fabric of earlier house, pre-1840, on site with shopfront to ground floor. Renovated, c.1975, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, replacement red brick Running bond (shared) chimney stack having stepped capping supporting terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron ties. Rendered, ruled and lined walls. Camber-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, and one-over-one timber sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1975, to ground floor with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane display window having louvered casement overlights, glazed timber door on tiled step having overlight, fascia having fluted consoles, and moulded cornice. Interior with timber panelled reveals or shutters to window openings. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A well appointed house of modest size making a positive contribution to the aesthetic appeal or streetscape character of Main Street South on account of attributes identifying a pleasing architectural programme including the vertical thrust of the composition, the balanced symmetrical arrangement of elegantly-swept openings, the uniform proportions of those openings on each floor, and so on. Having been well maintained, the house continues to express an early aspect with much of the historic or original fabric surviving in place, both to the exterior and reputedly to the interior, thereby upholding the positive impression made in the street scene.