Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1827 - 1840
Semi-detached two-bay two-storey house with half-dormer attic, extant 1840, on an L-shaped plan; single-bay (single-bay deep) two-storey return (west). Renovated, ----. One of a pair. Hipped fibre-cement slate roof on an L-shaped plan; pitched fibre-cement slate roof (west), clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack having capping supporting terracotta or yellow terracotta octagonal pots with rendered red brick Running bond chimney stack (west) having stepped capping supporting terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on slightly overhanging slate flagged eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Replacement cement rendered wall to front (east) elevation bellcast over rendered plinth; slate hung surface finish (remainder). Segmental-headed door opening (south) with concealed dressings framing timber panelled door having fanlight. Square-headed window openings with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows. Paired square-headed window openings (west) with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows. Set back from line of street.
A house erected as one of a pair of houses (including 15504002) representing an integral component of the early nineteenth-century built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one occupied by a succession of distillers employed in the adjacent Bishop's Water Distillery (established 1827; sold 1912; closed 1914), suggested by such attributes as the compact plan form; and the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thus upholding much of the character or integrity of a house forming part of a self-contained ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in Distillery Lane.