1790 - 1810
Terraced four-bay three-storey house, c.1800, possibly originally two separate two-bay three-storey houses with dormer attic or half-dormer attic. Renovated, pre-1880, with shopfront inserted to right ground floor. Renovated and refenestrated, post-1996, with replacement shopfront inserted to left ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, chimney stack(s) not visible, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron ties. Rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled piers to ends, and cast-iron tie plates to upper floors. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows, post-1996 (replacing six-over-six (first floor) and three-over-six (top floor) timber sash windows having overlights to first floor). Timber shopfront, pre-1880, to right ground floor renovated, post-1996, with replacement pilasters on plinths, replacement fixed-pane display windows, glazed timber door, fascia having fluted consoles, and moulded cornice on consoles. Replacement timber shopfront, post-1996, to left ground floor with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane display window, glazed timber door, and fascia having moulded cornice. Interior retaining timber reveals or shutters to some window openings. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A well composed house of the middle size possibly originally intended as two separate houses making a dignified impression in Main Street North on account of qualities including the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor in the Classical manner producing a graduated tiered visual effect, the understated surface articulation, and so on. However, while the elementary composition prevails together with a quantity of the historic or original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior including fragments of a late nineteenth-century shopfront displaying good quality joinery, the character or integrity of the house has not benefited from the introduction of replacement fittings to the openings eliminating the sash-and-overlight glazing pattern recognized as a characteristic particular to Wexford Town and the environs (see Survey Highlight).